Hi girls!
Well, another summer has come - and is almost gone - WOW!
Sorry I'm late chiming in regarding the girls weekend. My planning ability is in flux right now, as I'll explain. I have spent a large portion of my summer with my parents in Kentucky caring for my dad (and basically my mom, too, as her arthritis has really disabled her).
In February, Dad was placed under Home-Hospice care due to his declining abilities from prostate/bone cancer. In mid-May, Eric and I received what we thought was "the phone call" to come, as Dad was completely unable to move and taken to the hospital. We were told that Dad had only days/few weeks left, so Eric and I decided to stay to turn his office into a "hospital room", bring him home and basically be his in-home nurses. (Eric and I sure are blessed with wonderful spouses who managed the kids, end of school activities, the house, and shuttling kids to various activities - 30+ soccer games! in our absence!) We were there until June 19th!!!, at which time, we were able to seek out a wonderful skilled nursing facility to place him in that's close to my parent's home - so mom can be with him every day. On June 20th (Happy late birthday Kim), Chris, our girls and I took a much needed beach vacation - and then in mid-July - we all (Eric's and my family) returned to Louisville for a "reunion" for Dad. I stayed, with the girls, for 2 more weeks to spend time with Dad and help Mom organize the house. Bless my Dad's heart, he's hanging on..... without much pain, but pretty disoriented. So much for doctors' assessments as to how much time a person has left.
WHEW! That's quite an explanation of "How I Spent my 2009 Summer". Although it's very sad to see Dad and mom decline in health, it was great Carlson Family time together --- particularly with Eric. It's been so long since we've been together as "Brother and Sister" -- as we're usually all together and busy parenting. Despite it all, Eric and I really enjoyed our time together.
All this being said, my life right now is functioning kind of as normal in NC, but on alert for an emergency trip to KY. Chris and I have wanted to plan an end of summer get away, but just can 't commit to any reservations due to Dad. I do (did?) have the girls' Sept weekend blocked off - and still could come (depending on Dad), but it looks like that isn't going to happen with everyone else's schedule. I have considered myself very lucky to be able to see you, Kim and Lexi, during our annual trips to Cleveland for Thanksgiving (which we are planning on again).
I would really like to get together for some girl time and catch up on all the "snippets" of information that were briefly shared in the emails between us all..... college, family, jobs, vacations....... If we can't get together, Lexi you mentioned the ability to set up a blog --- can you still do that so that we can stay in better touch?
That's it for now.... get ready for Fall, it's right around the corner!
Miss you all,
Lisa
Thursday, August 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment